Monday, March 3, 2014

Rocksmith

I've been playing Rocksmith 2014 for about a week now. It says I've put in about 12 hours on it. I've bought a few downloadable content packs to add some new music to it that I knew I'd enjoy playing, like the Queen songs and System of a Down.

Thus far I feel as though I've improved more with Rocksmith than I have with all the other work I've put into playing the guitar. It's teaching me to play songs in a fun, gamified way of things. It includes both note-play and chords with a clear, easy-to-follow interface.

I'm glad I came into this game; I think it's going to cut my learning time in half.

The only thing it doesn't seem to do is teach me how to read music. I should probably supplement that aspect with some old-fashioned music books but at this point I'm spending so much time learning how to actually play, and having so much fun doing it, that I keep putting off the rest.

I don't think it's really too big of a deal to wait to learn that since in the mean time I'll be learning how to properly hit the notes, how to switch between the strings without looking, new strumming techniques, and how it should sound. Once I have all that down I can learn how to read the music and I don't think that will be too difficult since I have a history of reading music.

One of the other nice things is that I can learn bass using the same method as soon as I get an electric bass! I want to learn all the instruments I possibly can so it's a nice bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment