Monday, March 10, 2014

10,000 Hours - Music and Me

My guitar playing travels apace. I continue to play Rocksmith and while it tells me I'm improving I don't see it quite as much as I feel I should be. I will continue, however, and enjoy myself with it; even though I'm not doing as well as I'd like (and Laura still prefers I practice when she's not around) I am enjoying it. Maybe that's the secret to practice, finding a way to enjoy it.

On the keyboard I'm still working at the most basic level: I'm learning to recognize on sight which key is which, and then be able to find one within a split second of being given a note. Finding the "A" key, for example, or "F#" without having to count out the keys and figuring out exactly which is which.

One of the things I'm enjoying on keyboard is actually going to Ultimate Guitar and following the chords for guitar on the piano. It's good practice at finding chords, though it tends to be one hand at a time so it's not "true" keyboard practice but it's fun and helpful.

By next week I'd like to have mastered several Rocksmith "Lessons" and have learned the basics of reading keyboard music. Just the very basics would be fine; I'm trying to take this slow and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment