Thursday, March 13, 2014

10,000 Hours - Art

One of the two pictures I'm showcasing today I'm proud of and the other one is this picture of a boy holding a lizard.

I was proud of the boy holding a lizard, to some small degree, and I was going to work on it more, right up until someone told me I was suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect and pointed out that my proportions were all wrong and that I did not capture the boy's shape at all well. I mean, just look at the eyes, and then those things that are supposed to be ears.

Here's the thing: His words were true. They hurt but that doesn't make them untrue. He could have said them in a less cruel way but again, he wasn't lying.

Still, I feel as though I've progressed in the last few months. Some of my pictures have come out really well.

That, and I'm proud of the lizard still. He didn't say anything about my lizard being bad. So there.

Now this page with the eye and the puppy? This page I'm proud of.

I wanted to draw a dog for fun so I pulled up pictures of bulldogs and just quickly sketched this out. The eyeball up top came later because I'm trying to work on pieces of faces but the dog was its own thing.

I'm proud of it. If I shouldn't be, I don't want to know.

What makes me more proud of it is that Lois saw it after I drew it, pointed at it, and said "Doggy!" Which means that even if it's not particularly good, it's recognizable as what it is.

I win!

Of course, this is coming from the girl who drew what can at best be called abstract art and called it "Daddy" but hey, who am I to judge her works of amazing art?

No comments:

Post a Comment