Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Brillig

I recently went on a quest to learn Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky. I took it stanza-by-stanza, broke it down, and actually memorized it pretty quickly (in about a week) with quite a bit of work on my end. I was dreaming in nonsense words, waking up with the words "tulgey" or "frabjous" on my lips.

I still practice the poem just about every day; saying it once in the morning to make sure it has a firm home in my mind. I'm sure that, eventually, I'll stop having to say it every day but until I'm comfortable I'll still repeat it over and over.

Memorizing the poem made me proud. It's been a while since I've really worked my brain like that; it was nice to know it still works!

Now, because I've felt that brilliant pride, I've decided that I'd learn another poem. Laura mentioned that she's always wanted to memorize Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken so I'm being a jerk and taking her idea.

Interestingly I find that my brain wants to jump right into Jabberwocky as I try to remember and recite the first stanza of The Road Not Taken. It's like my brain is accessing the ability to memorize things but since I've only actively used it on Jabberwocky recently it goes right to that, forgetting its original goal.

I don't know. It's just strange. Meanwhile I'll be over here, resting by the Tumtum tree in uffish thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment