Thursday, February 20, 2014

10,000 Hours - Art

Something kind of interesting happened this week.

One of my daily to do list items for the past few weeks has been to do 10 30-second gesture drawings, using Quickposes or Pixelovely. On Monday I found myself sighing as I went to do the exercise, questioning whether or not it was even worth it. 30 seconds was barely any time and besides it's not like this exercise was actually making me any better at drawing; it was just a waste of five minutes. Maybe I should try a few one minute gesture drawings instead of 30 seconds?

I decided that I'd do another day of 30-second-long drawings and I hit "start." I sketched out the first pose quickly, then filled in a little bit of detail. Then a little more detail. Then a little more. Then I looked at the timer to see if I had somehow hit the wrong button. 2 seconds left.

The next model was the same; the thirty seconds seemed to stretch longer and I filled out more of the figure than I ever had before. This continued for all the models I drew. The thirty seconds seemed to last longer and I felt like I was capturing more of each pose.

Strange. It's like practicing every day actually pays off or something. I guess I'll keep on going with this pointless daily exercise.

In other news:

Noses suck. It seems like noses are almost impossible to draw with lines (aside from just detailing the nostrils a little and leaving the rest blank) and you need to use all shading to define a nose properly. I hate them.

I hate them almost as much as I hate hands. Almost as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment