Thursday, January 9, 2014

10,000 Hours - Art (NSFW)

I've been practicing my drawing every day for about two weeks now and while I am still seeing obvious glaring flaws in what I do, I've become much more happy with the results.

One of the reasons for this is that I've discovered a new (to me) technique called "linear gesture drawing" and I really love the way that it flows onto the paper. Something about the technique feels extremely natural to me. I know I still need a lot of work but when I'm done drawing something I feel like I've actually done something cool, whereas when I was mostly following drawing tutorials I would finish it and feel like I hadn't actually created anything; I had just copied someone else's work and that was it. Even when I'd end up with a kind of cool looking Stitch (from Lilo & Stitch) for example, I'd say "Yeah, but I just did it step-by-step. ANYONE could do that."

When I finish doing a linear gesture drawing, I can say "I did that!"

Below are some not-safe-for-work drawings that I did of art models I found online using a great figure drawing tool. In the future I'll probably find some clothed models to draw but for now this is all I have to share to show what I'm doing.

The only problem is that I'm not sure where to go from here. Once I get decent at this form of drawing, what's the next step? How do I improve, and what skills do I need to add to my current repertoire? I'm not sure. I'm sure I'll figure it out, eventually. For now, though, I'll just keep doing what I enjoy and hopefully keep improving!

Now, everything below this line is NSFW. Fair warning.



 A good friend came to visit last night and during a lull I decided to show her what I've been working on. I flipped to this picture and she laughingly said "Bow chicka wow wow!"

I was just happy she could tell what the drawing was!
I'm particularly proud of this drawing. I just really like the way the blanket came together, and think that even though her face is drawn in a VERY simplistic style I captured it as a face.

That sounds ridiculous but some of the faces I've drawn have ended up with a result that makes me go "Did I just draw a golem, or something?"

I'm happy with this one. Hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks I'll look at it and see all the flaws that I don't make anymore.

That's the hope, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment