Thursday, October 31, 2013

My 10,000 Hours

http://www.easydrawingtutorials.com/
Recently I decided that while I love being a stay-at-home-dad (and I really, really do) there needs to be a bit more to my life than just taking care of the little girl It just makes sense that I should use her nap times to clean the house have some fun and learn new things.

I've always wanted to learn how to draw and recently I asked my friends on Facebook how I should go about doing that.

Turns out the only way to learn how to draw is to just sit down and draw. Strange.

So, I sat down with a sketch pad, a mechanical pencil, and the internet. I Googled "Easy drawing tutorials" and strangely found http://www.easydrawingtutorials.com.

The tutorials were simple, short, and fun. It looks like it's just full of a bunch of kid's stuff but since I'm a big kid this was perfect.

I'm strangely satisfied with how this all came out. I learned a few things (like when you're drawing the framework you really barely need any pencil pressure at all) and laughed at myself a lot.

Drawing is my new project when I have time during the day. It's something I know I can have fun with and hopefully pick up fairly easily (the basics, anyway). If I use her nap times to draw (assuming the house is clean) I should be able to put in at least an hour or two per day on it.

If it takes 10,000 hours to master something and I take 2 hours per day to work on it that means it'll only take me about 14 years. I better get on that!

Also, I have no idea why Mario looks so angry but I'm really happy with my Luigi and Sonic. Harley Quinn? Well, let's just assume I was distracted by the Joker or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment