Saturday, January 2, 2016

Dinner Time!

I don't have a cookbook yet for low-carb/ketogenic recipes but I can still work on cooking new foods and getting better at the process. I lost at least some of my skills do to non-use and I seem to have lost my attention for detail after the brain surgery so it's not going to be a super fast process but I used to have the skills needed to make some damn good food and I want to get that back again.

Yesterday I started easy and made some fried eggs. I looked up a recipe to see if there was any small improvement I could make over my old style of cooking fried eggs and found that there were two things I could do to improve them: Browning the butter first and then starting over high heat but turning that into low heat as soon as the eggs hit the pan.

 They were fantastic. It was a very small first step but it was an important one.

Tonight I've decided I'm making dinner for the family and I have what I think will be a hit menu for all involved:


I'll be making some basic changes to things, like halving the mashed potatoes recipe and leaving out the sesame seeds, as well as using almond flour on the schnitzel to keep them lower in carbohydrates and keto friendly. The potatoes will be for the two ladies in my life since they're a bit too carby for me but I'll taste-test them as I make them to ensure that they're delicious.

For the most part, though, I need to follow the recipes and properly time everything. Flavor, of course, is important and I want this to turn out well but my real focus will be on timing and attention to detail since those are the two things I feel I most need to work on.

After Action Report:

The chicken schnitzel was an abysmal failure and the potatoes didn't get made due to nobody else eating dinner tonight.

The Brussels sprouts, though? They were absolutely amazing. Steamed for about 10 minutes and then salted they were cooked perfectly and the natural sweetness came out.

They were probably the best Brussels sprouts I've ever made and they were amazingly simple to cook.

I may have bitten off more than I could chew with the schnitzel and shouldn't have tried altering the recipe for almond flour. I have to get that keto-friendly cookbook I was talking about so that I can do the recipes exact, as per the recipe. I'm hoping that will help.

But damn. Those Brussels sprouts made a fantastic healthy meal. I need to buy more.

No comments:

Post a Comment