Thursday, November 21, 2013

I Am Everything I Have Ever Really Worked Towards Being

If you want to be something, do something.

Want to be an athlete? Practice, exercise, push yourself physically and work hard.
Want to be the best dog trainer ever? Read books on training, volunteer at shelters, work with dogs, take classes.
Want to grow slothful and large in the midsection? Sit in a chair all day typing on your computer, eat way too much food, don't ever clean up your house.

You become good at what you practice, whether you practice it purposely or not.

Following that line of logic I now have four daily goals that I want to accomplish every day so that I can become who I want to be, who I am deep-down, but who I just haven't yet practiced at being quite enough yet:


  • Write for 1 hour per day or 500 words whichever comes second.
    • I will use a tracking program to keep time. I just need to remember to turn it on and off.
  • Sweat every day.
    • In the beginning, small steps are needed. No time frame, no amounts. Just sweat; show effort.
  • Fill at least one canvas with art.
    • Yesterday and today those canvases were windows, using Crayola Window Crayons. Tomorrow maybe the canvas will be a piece of paper.
  • Clean one room, top to bottom.
    • This one will be the most difficult, I believe, because I will be fighting against 33 years of life in which I have grown used to not worrying about cleaning as a daily exercise but rather only when it "needs to get done."
In the meantime I'll continue to become more proficient in other ways, of course. I'll practice dadding every minute of every day, for example. I'll probably continue trying to pick up any number of other skills, or accidentally learn how to be the best chair-rester ever. But these four things are my focus.

Write, Sweat, Create, Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment